The history of Osijek, the largest city in eastern Croatia and the economic and cultural centre of Slavonia goes back to Neolithic period. The first-known inhabitants of the region were the Illyrian tribes. The first precise mention of the name of this port-town can be found in Papal list of tithes from 1332, with a precise mention of Osijek parish.
Life was thriving here in the Middle Ages, but only the traces can be found because of the Turkish invasion. Suleiman, the Magnificent built here his famous 8-kilometer long wooden bridge, considered to be one of the wonders of the world.
After liberation from the Turks in 1687, the city was once again devastated. Between 1712 and 1721, Austrian authorities built a new fortress known as Tvrdja. A unique urban and military complex, it lies in the heart of the town.
Three parts of the town, the Lower Town, Tvrdja, and the Upper Town were united in 1786 and Osijek became the administrative center of Slavonia region. In 1779, new wooden bridge was built across the Drava river, connecting Osijek with Hungary and the rest of Central Europe.
The city is now divided in four parts: Gornji Grad or the Upper Town, Tvrda or the well-known Baroque quarter, Donji Grad or the Lower Town and Novi Grad or the New Town.
The important places of interest in Osijek are Trg Ante Starcevica or the main square and Trg Svetog Roka, a large boulevard along the Drava, as well as the pedestrian bridge that crosses to Baranja (another Croatian region). There is Zoological garden in Osijek too, located along the Drava River.
Museum of Slavonia, which was established in 1877, has on display a collection of money, weapons and medals given by antiquarian and wholesaler Franjo Sedlakovic.
Being on the Drava river, Osijek has a lot of opportunities for water sports during the summer time, as well as opportunities for hunting and angling in Kopacki Rit nature preserve park. There is also fishing and hunting societies.
The nature park at Kopacki Rit is in eastern Croatia in an area called Baranja. The area is considered to be the largest wetland in Europe. The wetlands, flooded for at least three months a year, are one of the largest spawning grounds for freshwater fish in the whole Danube River.
The park is located near the point where river Drava and river Danube join before carrying on their journey towards the Black Sea. The 42, 000-acre park is covered in verdant vegetation and is home to about 250 bird species, including rare varieties such as the black stork as well as wild goose, wild duck, big white heron, white stork, black stork, white-tailed eagle, big crow, coot, seagull, tern, kingfisher, woodpecker, green woodpecker. A part of Kopacki Rit has been designated as a special zoological reserve.
The park can be visited by boat or by foot. The nearest airport is Osijek airport. Angling and hunting is allowed only in certain parts of the park.
Osijek has it's own airport and is easily accessible from Zagreb, Beograd or Budapest.
Hotels in Osijek
Overlooking river Drava and the Baranja woods, this recently renovated hotel will satisfy leisure tourists as well as fastidious business guests. The hotel is located right in the center of the pedestrian zone of Osijek, which also happens to be the longest and most beautiful promenade along the river in the whole Croatia.
Accomodation: The Hotel has 140 rooms, and seven apartments. According to their equipment and roominess, all accommodation units are classified as Classic, Superior and Deluxe.
Conference and Banquet Facilities: The Hotel has got a large multi-purpose space at the mezzanine level which can be, depending on the banquet or conference requirements, quickly converted and sound-insulated into two, three, four or even five separated rooms (size: 165, 135, 110, 100 and 40 square meters).
While the largest hall is called Chestnut, the smaller ones are called Maple, Oak, Linden and Birch. Projectors and projection screens are installed in the ceiling.
The Waldinger hotel is situated in the very heart of Slavonia in the city of Osijek. The hotel promises top quality service that matches up to European standards. The hotel is situated in the center of the town. The building was built in 1904. This was also the year painter Adolf Ignjo Waldinger, after whom the hotel was named died. It was designed and ornamented by the real representative of Osijek secession - it was the architect and sculptor Ante Slavicek. Slavicek was a versatile and inspired creator. The interior of the hotel is has stained-glass windows on the ceiling, on the door of the hall, an antique decoration, artistic paintings, carving in the wood and small labyrinths of the interior take you through two different centuries at the same time.
Accomodation: The hotel has on offer 16 accommodation units, 14 of which are double bedrooms and two suites. Waldinger pension with its seven accommodation units is a part of the hotel and is located next to the hotel.
Enjoy coffee or any other drink at a leisurely pace at Waldinger, the coffee shop, or try our delicious desserts while enjoying exhibited paintings.